Public debate about new Milan stadium to start after Italy's election
Consultation with Milan residents set to begin on Sept. 28, says mayor
Italian football archrivals AC Milan and Inter Milan are in progress to build a new stadium that will replace San Siro, as a public debate is expected to start after Sunday's national election.
Italian news agency ANSA reported on Monday that Milan Mayor Giuseppe Sala said that a public debate about the new Milan stadium will probably start on Sept. 28.
"It seems to me that it is Sept. 28," Sala, 64, said when he was asked about the start of the public debate.
Sala added that they are waiting for a consensus from Rome about the modalities of the public debate and the project.
La Gazzetta dello Sport, an Italian daily, said that AC Milan and Inter last week agreed to demolish San Siro Stadium, otherwise known as Giuseppe Meazza Stadium, one of the largest football venues in Europe.
The stadium was shared by AC Milan and Inter for more than seven decades.
AC Milan has been calling it San Siro, but Inter named it Giuseppe Meazza.
San Siro is a Milan district, while Giuseppe Meazza is an Inter legend who played for the Nerazzurri from 1927 to 1940 with a brief stint in AC Milan.
The San Siro Stadium, which opened in 1926 and enlarged then, hosted the UEFA Champions League finals in 2001 and 2016, and several games in the 1990 FIFA World Cup.
It has at least 75,800 seating capacity, which makes the San Siro the biggest stadium in Italy.